Many moms choose to use cloth diapers to keep chemicals away from their babies’ delicate skin. Do you follow this same line of thinking when it comes to other baby products as well?
There’s a growing movement of concern about body (including baby) products that contain carcinogenic chemicals such as 1,4-dioxane and formaldehyde. Phthalates and parabens, both of which have been linked to hormonal and reproductive abnormalities, can also be found in many personal-care products. Unfortunately, none of these chemicals are regulated in the United States. Plus, the ingredients in fragrances don’t have to be disclosed – manufacturers can just lump all those chemicals into the word “fragrance”.
I’m certainly not an expert in these issues, and I don’t mean the above paragraph to cause unnecessary fears. Sometimes I’m not sure whether these things are worth worrying about. We’ll always be exposed to things like this in some regard just by living in modern society.
However, I’ve been having fun and $aving Money by experimenting with making my own baby products lately, and by doing so, I have confidence that I’m not putting weird preservatives or other unknown chemicals in products that touch my baby! If you’re looking to try your hand at making a few baby care products yourself, start with the list below!
Homemade Diaper Ointments
- Soothing Tooshie Salve by Scratch Mommy
- Natural Diaper Rash Balm by Mommypotamus
- Homemade Non-Toxic Diaper Cream by Nourishing Joy
- 10-minute Natural Diaper Rash Cream by Diaper Wrecker
- Pure and Simple Diaper Rash Cream by Keeper of the Home
- Best Diaper Rash Cream by Little House Living
Homemade Baby Wipe Solutions
- Lavender-Chamomile Cloth Wipe Bits by Homegrown & Healthy
- Cloth Wipe Solutions by Zany Zebra
- Homemade Baby Wipe Spritz by Diaper Wrecker
- Homemade Baby Wipes Recipe by Homegrown & Healthy
- Homemade Solution for Cloth Wipes by Simple Homemade
Homemade Baby Shampoo
- Homemade Moisturizing Baby Shampoo by My Merry Messy Life
- Homemade Baby Shampoo by Naturally Mindful
Homemade Baby Lotion
Homemade Teething Remedies
- Teething Tea by Real Food Outlaws
- Homemade Teething Gel Oil by Mommypotamus
- Teething Tincture by Modern Alternative Mama
- Homemade Teething Cream by Modern Alternative Mama
Homemade Nursing Balms
- Three nursing balm recipes from The Nerdy Farmwife
Homemade baby products are generally less expensive than store-bought. Plus, if you start making several different kinds of baby care products, you’ll find that you’re using a lot of the same ingredients in different ways, so you can buy the ingredients in larger quantities to save even more money!
The most common ingredients found in the 20 links above include:
- Beeswax Pastilles
- Cocoa Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Shea Butter
- Zinc Oxide Powder
- Olive Oil
- Apricot Oil
- Almond Oil
- Vegetable Glycerine
- Liquid Vitamin E
- Aloe Vera
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Oil
- Witch Hazel
- Castile Soap
Do you make your own baby products? If so, what’s your primary motivation – cost savings or chemical avoidance? Feel free to link up your favorite recipes from other sources in the comments below!