Top 10 Reasons Not to Use Cloth Diapers

You know, cloth diapers aren’t for everyone. If you’re thinking about making the switch from disposables to cloth diapers, it’s important to be fully informed about the pros and cons of both options. Here are the top ten reasons I’ve found people choose to use disposable diapers instead of cloth diapers.

10. You make a living selling “I Heart Landfills” t-shirts.

I Heart Landfills

Plain White

Pinned Prefold

Trash

Multinational Corporations and Brands

kleenex-hand-towels-home

4. You want your infant to rock skinny jeans every day.

skinny jeans for babies

landfill

2. You enjoy looking for creative ways to spend a lot more money than necessary on all kinds of basic needs. In fact, you maintain a Pinterest board called “Ways to Waste Money”.

Pinterest

diagram

Comments

1. This post made me laugh :) I had to read the whole thing to my husband. He laughed too. :)

2. Reason number 11: Ahhh what the hell, just joking! If I was really concerned about the Earth I wouldn’t bother ridiculing others because I’m the biggest hypocrite of all for having a baby! Considering that the main cause of pollution is the carbon footprint of a single human!!

• courtney says:

That may be true, but don’t get upset about it. This is meant to make people laugh, not to make them feel like they are being ridiculed.

• Oh, poor Gabby. Must be sad to live in a world where there is no humor AND no babies!

• Seriously? *facepalm* I’m going to suggest that if humor, diapers, and babies are all things of horror to you, it might be a good idea to just avoid certain areas of the internet. There are several child-free communities out there.

Personally, I thought this was absolutely hillarious!

• Good point Suzi. Why are you reading a blog about cloth diapers if you are anti-baby? Just to leave angry comments? Time to find a new hobby!

• I think Gabby has a good point. This struck me as just so self-righteous and alienating. The thing is, the opening to this is true. You should know what you are getting into with cloth. I know that there are a lot of resources and not every post has to be about cloth-diaper advocacy. But, this attitude, about how superior cloth diapers are, and how totally horrible disposables are, is what scares people off from trying them.

I actually clicked through to read this because I’m thinking of quitting cloth all together. I was wondering if there are any legit reasons not to do it – like I’m not so sure my daycare provider is on board, my husband and MIL think it’s weird and complain about it, and I’m fighting a persistent yeast rash on my baby at the moment. I was wondering if I am killing myself for nothing, if other people find legit reasons not to power through when it gets tough.

So, maybe I wasn’t in the right mindset for this type of post. But, I think most of these aren’t really funny – with the exception of I<3 Landfills – that was funny. The rest of these are just so smug. I found it off-putting. To each their own, I guess.

• Charmaine says:

Well said Gabby :) I personally used old fashioned cloth nappies for about 7 months then spent a fortune on a set of cloth nappies and got to use them for about a month before my son developed eczema on his penis and the dermatologist said I had to use disposable for his sake. Them my second son pooed every time I fed him so cloth was just not possible!
        Each to their own and I too thought the post was a little ignorant in assuming people use disposable because they are lazy, selfish, superficial and unconcerned for the environment. Sarcasm just isn’t my thing I guess….

• Charmaine says:

Oops I mean Cassie!
        And the one thing that peeved me off with cloth nappies was how he couldn’t wear half his clothes, they didn’t fit his big bottom!

• Elizabeth S. says:

My Daycare was fine with cloth, I provided instructions on how to put them in baggies so they didn’t smell all day. My Husband was fine as long as I took care of number two’s. grandma said NO she said she had four tushies in cloth and saved the environment enough. I do not think you are ignorant nor stupid if you don’t use cloth or are not caring. Their are brands like seventh generation out there.

If you need to stop using cloth or well need to use both do so. We had to flip flop because of caregivers preferences including the potty training thing. I can’t afford buying cloth trainers. There are other ways out there to help save the environment besides just using cloth as well as save money.

Yes, each their own of humor. As well OO and if Amanda comes back and reads this.. I doubt. I do number 7 on her list..

• If you are fighting a constant yeast rash look at changing your diet and your babies. Try eliminating sugar and trying RLR to help get rid of hard water buildup.

• Elizabeth says:

I am all for cloth diapers but we don’t use them anymore. After rounds of antibiotics and
      misdiagnosis and the horrible ammonia burns I gave up. I followed every advice cloth diapers blogs had out there. The amount of water used washing and boiling was ridiculous with no better results. If your kid can use them great but there are other ways to be green with your family. And why does being green cost so much more?

• RLR will remove ammonia from diapers. It is caused by hard water buildup and no amt of boiling will cure that. Been there done that!

• Save the earth – kill all humans!!

• While everyone keeps saying “its just a joke, don’t be offended.” Has anyone forgot the rule that you aren’t supposed to make jokes at the expense of others. Yes I agree that someone should probably make the 10 reasons list to go the reverse on them and have it include things like

You don’t use disposable diapers because you
      1. Don’t need a real job and enjoy slaving in your house all day like a 50s housewife with no rights.
      2. You love that warm wet feeling on your leg when baby goes potty.
      3. You have the most amazing gag reflex ever and cleaning and boiling crap filled cloth doesn’t bother you.
      4. You like feeling superior to other people
      5. While you love to save the landfills your not worried about your consumption of water and the use of the public sewage systems.
      6. You yourself use a cloth maxipad when your on your period and you want it to be a family affair.
      7. You live like a cavewoman without use of every other resource on the planet (if your gonna go green go all the way)
      8. You don’t care about the offensive odor that is bothering everyone else in the room.
      9. You don’t think getting your husband to take care of the baby is hard enough already.
      10. You never want anyone babysitting your child except for you. Your super mom.

• Michele says:

I LOVE your comment Amanda!!

• Absolutely right, Amanda! I’ve done both ways, and I really don’t know what draws me to the cloth. They’re far more difficult, but I do enjoy not taking out trash twice a day and filling my shopping cart with two boxes of two sizes of diapers.

• 1. I have a “real” job. (By which I assume you mean working outside the home.)
        2. If your child’s diaper leaks, you are doing something wrong or the diaper is poor quality.
        3. Who boils poop? And did you know – if you read the disposable diapers package, you are supposed to scrape the poop off those things as well.
        4. It’s sad you feel inferior.
        5. My extra water consumption is two loads of laundry a week. Oh, no!! Do you know how much water goes into manufacturing disposable diapers?
        6. I do use cloth for myself. And since I started, I’ve had less cramping and shorter periods. Pretty awesome.
        7. Lots of people use cloth diapers as part of a modern lifestyle.
        8. Do you not change your child after they pee/poop? Because a wet ‘sposie smells nasty if left on…
        9. My husband can change a diaper. Modern cloth diapers are not any more difficult than disposables – remove diaper, wipe off child, replace with new diaper, place used diaper in diaper pail. (Refer to #3 re: soiled diapers.)
        10. See #9. My sitter can use cloth just as easily as my husband.

• Well said, Kelly! That is totally what I was thinking…every. single. one. :-)Everyone else that doesn’t enjoy a bit of humor can get over it and move on. If you don’t agree, don’t read. Done.

• Thank you! I don’t think disposable users even know how to use a cloth nappy! Who does all that stuff!? And as if going green “all the way” is a bad thing!!!??? I want to live of the land and reduce my carbon footprint AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
        Oh and Amanda, you don’t need to use cloth pads, there are these wonderful little things called menstrual cups. :-)

• Or how about:
        They’re WAY cheaper.
        They’re no harder than disposable. Throw in bag. Dump bag in washer. Done.
        They’re no messier. (Seriously? You think disposable diapers are neat?? They’re babies. They poop.)
        It’s been shown that babies have LESS blowouts. And the cloth diapers contain the blowouts better. What was that you were saying about leaks?
        Toddlers have a HARDER time taking off their diaper and flinging poop everywhere.
        If “getting your husband to take care of the baby is hard” then something else is wrong. Not the diapers.
        We’ve timed each other. He’s faster.
        Or the king of all reasons: my kid is allergic to every disposable diaper on the market.
        I am NOT “green,” in any way, shape or form. I have a gas-hogging car, i don’t use reusable grocery bags, etc, etc. Cloth diapers are cheaper, cleaner, and my kid is allergic.

• Gabby, you must be really depressed then since you are making a really big carbon imprint on the planet. How can you live with yourself?

3. Jessica Long says:

Ha ha ha lol I love the fortune 500 flow chart!!

4. Awesome! Great post. Gave me a good laugh, especially the skinny jeans. I really don’t get that whole skinny jeans on babies thing.

5. Megan McClure says:

My LO rocks her skinny jeans AND her cloth diapers! :)

6. Kristin M says:

Hahahaha this is hysterical. Love it!

7. Christine says:

I find it amazing that once upon a time, disposables were considered the “rich person” alternative. Only the really well off could afford them, and cloth diapers were what everyone else was using. My mom told me how she even made her own wipes, out of water and rags.

Now, cloth diapering is seen as the “expensive” alternative, with disposables coming in first place as the way to diaper ones baby. People see the upfront cost of cloth diapering (sometimes 100-200$ upfront, depending on the type) as a major expense compared to purchase disposable diapers as-you-go.

I have been so blessed to have so many generous people either show me how to make my own, or help by giving me some. Now that I cloth diaper, I wouldn’t have it any other way!

It really is amazing how things change, right?

• I used cloth on my babies in the 80s and my friends thought I was insane. My grandmother showed me how to fold and pin them. I felt guilty for adding so much to the landfills even back then. The added bonuses were:
      1. Never having to run out at all hours to buy diapers,
      2. Knowing my babies were wearing cotton and not some chemical cocktail of who-knows-what,
      3. Having diapers hanging from the clothes line.
      33 years, 6 kids, and 6 grandkids later, I still think cloth diapers are the way to go.

8. This really grinds my gears. Not everyone has the same life and while I don’t LOVE using disposable diapers, I have to work and my child has to be watched by people who don’t have the time or desire to deal with clothe. I also barely have enough time to do our basic laundry, let alone adding another load into the mix. There are no diapering services where I live. Yeah, it’s not the most eco-friendly thing in the world, but I do use the 7th gen and I am extremely green in almost every other way possible. Your post is extremely holier-than-thou. The tone is really disappointing.

• courtney says:

Shola, Shola, Shola… you will lead a very unhappy life indeed if you take everything you read on the internet as a personal insult!! It’s just a joke, and I’m sure you probably live “greener” than I do in many other ways. As another commenter pointed out, shame on us all for having babies in the first place….

• Oh honey calm down. It’s a joke. Not everything is a personal attack on your life. You’re really not THAT special.

• Shola – ignore the tree huggers who think they are wonderful mothers because they use a diaper service. They are trying so hard to impress each other with their ‘greeness’ and if someone takes offence, ‘ it’s only a joke!’ Continue being the great mother that you are – and use whatever kind of diaper you want.

• How have so many people who don’t like cloth or in some cases, children, happened upon this just to criticise? Could you make a contradictory list of ten points?

• And… Unfortunately people dont do enough research to even find out whats in the “greener” disposable… Seventh generation isnt even all that “green” … They use dyes and other none”green” ingredients that make this diaper not biodegradable or compostable. If your really interested in going “green” here is a good source to start …this goes for any body else wanting to defend their choice of disposables… Read and Weep…

• Michele says:

How about I defend my choice of disposables by saying ITS MY CHOICE AND NOT YOURS!!!

• Danielle says:

Shola, I totally get what you are saying about the tone of this article! But just a heads up that I cloth diaper part time, and even that has saved me lots of $. I have a mini stash of alvas/sunbabys and at first it was just on weekends and when I was home. Then when my hubby saw how much money we were saving over time he started doing it to. My LO goes to an in home daycare and I love the mom there and her kid (which is why I havent switched my daughter to a cloth friendly one) but I am slowly getting her on board :)

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing !

9. Christi Sparks says:

Heheheehe LOVED this…. I want to give my mil who btw hates my cloth diapers the I <3 Landfills shirt!

10. Belle Windham says:

Please, please, please email me that chart. My anti-GMO groups would love to have it.

11. Holy crap (no pun intended)… SWOON!!!!

12. I used clothes with baby # 1 2 4. And loved them they potty trained quick they were as easy .and so cheap two thumb up

13. I’ve got to be honest, this article is a little too much. I understand it is a joke and intended to give a good laugh to people who use cloth diapers, but to someone who doesn’t it is pretty offensive. Maybe they shouldn’t be practicing such wasteful habits, but why does this article have to be so critical and rudely written? I don’t think it’s necessary. Why can’t we all just be nice, no matter people’s personal choices?

• Stephanie says:

I think that those mamas/women who are offended really need to take a step back and think about the fact that, although this IS OBVIOUSLY meant as a joke, the funniest part is that it’s ALL TRUE! She’s not saying anything inappropriate or wrong- she’s telling the truth in a comical way. Grow up if you can’t handle a joke and don’t be so insecure about your choices! You certainly have the right to choose paper & chemicals while I have the right to choose cloth…

• Not to mention…it’s the freaking internet, people. Seriously? Why must everyone get their panties in a wad? Oh & freedom of speech and all that other crap.

14. love this!!

15. patpoint says:

Oh geez… some of you need to lighten up. I used cloth in the late 60s and early 70s. I did used disposable when going on trips, but even today I think I would prefer cloth diapers.

16. Hilarious and IMO painfully true.

Our planet will die because of disposables, not just diapers but bags, water bottles, etc. So sad.

• The Earth has survived through much worse things than plastic bottles and disposable diapers. We might eventually kill ourselves off, but the planet would be just fine.

17. I get it, it’s a joke..it’s supposed to be funny. Except that it’s pretty darn condescending. We use cloth in our house, but I certainly wouldn’t pass judgement on those that don’t. I guess this is good if you need to feel good about yourself???

18. I love reason no. 4, “You want your infant to rock skinny jeans every day.”
    Too funny!

19. I live in the middle of the woods. I use both. I prefer the cloth versions I’ve made, that others have gifted, and that I’ve bought. Here in the boonies the well doesn’t supply enough water to exclusively supply water for my five person family, veggie garden, flower garden, chicken flock and the goat herd. Sometimes my beautiful diapers sit for a week before I can squelch enough water to sufficiently wash and triple rinse them. So then I use the plastic crap ones tocollect my littles waste. I hate using them but I have to. And I feel bad about the waste but try to still flush the poopies down the toilet and allow lots of diaper free time as much as possible. Life is too wild and precious to get pissed about an internet post that is OBVIOUSLY a joke. I’m sorry so many are hurt by this joke that I find hilarious. If you are offended, either get over it or try some cloth diapering! You may feel better about the whole situation. Every cloth diaper I use makes me smile inside knowing I’m doing my best. Just keep doing what you love mommas, and trying your best!!!

20. Michelle says:

I respect the humor in this feature, but to act like cloth diapering vs. disposable-diapering will save you from the landfill and from supporting big corporations is silly- there is the lifetime of consumption and waste a person will produce once they are no longer in diapers at all. Let’s not forget that the most eco-friendly decision of all is to choose not to have a baby (or, I suppose, to adopt).

21. I agonized over this decision; ultimately, we chose g-diapers as the best of both worlds. Minimal washing and poopy gross-out factor, and we could dispose of the inserts in a variety of biodegradeable ways. My son never had diaper rash. You can get washable liners too if you don’t want to deal with the disposable inserts.

22. Why do people who don’t use/like cloth diapers read this site which is all about cloth diapers?! I think you are LOOKING for a fight! ;) Come on, admit it! Lighten up, or step away!! ;)

23. This is hilarious! Thanks for the laughs!

24. The Honest Company makes great disposable diapers that are about as natural as you are going to get with out going to cloth. I use disposable and cloth. I find that having both options works best for my family. I thought the top ten list was funny, but all of the comments are what really drew my attention. I am excited to be a new parent and look forward to finding community among other moms and dads out there who want to share their experiences not judgments and of course laughs!!! Lots of laughable moments to share : )

25. As a cloth diapering momma I realized right away these were all jokes. After all, if we were honest, there ARE actual negatives of cloth diapering just like everything else – nothing is perfect. And who reads this blog if they don’t like cloth diapers? *Snap* out of it – what a *waste* of time. Seems like you’re *flushing* your life away by posting your *2* sense. ;)

26. Michele says:

I don’t use cloth diapers anymore and feel no guilt otherwise. No matter what we did, mind you we tried EVERYTHING, but my son kept getting horrible ammonia burns and I refused to put my son through that anymore. This article is meant to make others feel bad about their choices and I will not. I am not “green” and so what!! Thats the problem with mom’s now a days. They have no respect for other mothers and bash them for their choices. Shame on all of you!

27. “Biodegradable” Disposable Diapers are a small step in the right direction, but they still use A TON of oil, water, and chemicals to make the things in the first place. It’s much less waste to just use cloth in the first place.

28. Wow, can’t believe the droves of bitter pro-disposable peeps on here. If you have to use disposables, that’s your choice, fine, I get it, but please don’t try to justify it as equally or more environmentally conscious. That is just downright RIDICULOUS. Cloth are unequivocally the most environmentally friendly choice. No contest. The water and energy cost argument is totally ridiculous, considering all the water and energy required to produce your disposables.

I suggest folks who are skeptical of the actual environmental and health impact look at a brief overview here:

29. Re: “TOP 10 REASONS NOT TO USE CLOTH DIAPERS”
    My Top 10 reasons TO use cloth diapers

Re: “10. You make a living selling “I Heart Landfills” t-shirts.”
    My #10. You make a living selling “My Baby Heart’s Feces, Rashes and Infections” T-shirts.
    Re: “9. All of the walls in your house are white or beige. Having the choice of adorable colors and prints overwhelms you. No; you want your baby to wear a uniform, white diaper every minute of his diapering career.”
    My #9. You are too blind to notice the cute designs on disposable diapers, and therefore think that your cloth diapers are obviously the cutest thing in the world…especially as they are sharing the unseen remainder of those “special packages” with the rest of your clothing in your washing machine!
    Re: “8. Your only source of information about cloth diapers are your mom’s crowd, who tell you how difficult it was to use diaper pins and question your sanity for uttering the phrase “cloth diapers” in the first place.”
    My #8. You are FAR too wise to listen to any of those MORONS that have “been there, done that!” I.e. “I jumped off a cliff, it hurt when I hit the bottom” — moron, we’ve OBVIOUSLY improved the technology of cliff jumping!
    Re: “7. You hold a longstanding grudge against your neighborhood waste collector, and indulge said grudge by creating as much household trash as possible.”
    My #7. You hold a long-standing grudge against your offspring for being so darn cute; therefore have devised a cunning plan to thwart that offensive “cuteness” with a horrible rash, eczema, or yeast infection.
    Re: “6. You are the founding member of the “Shop Multinational Big Business” initiative aimed at developing grassroots support for giant corporations, particularly those in the Fortune 500.”
    My #6. You somehow believe in a Utopian world where big business deals ONLY with those wretched disposable diapers, and your cloth diapers were spun by a cute little old lady who harvested her cotton by hand from her backyard garden. Massive giants like 3M would NEVER get involved in something sacred like cloth — nor would any of the other Fortune 500 companies you displayed.
    Re: “5. Wash things that get dirty? No way; gross! Single-use towels, sheets, and clothing are totally your style. Diapers too!”
    My #5. Throw something away? No way! You LOVE to re-use and share. Need a tissue? Just borrow your neighbor’s, after all, he just blew his nose into it, and surely won’t need it for the next few minutes! One use toilet paper? How wasteful! Not you, though! You’ll wipe your tooshie with your re-usable towel, which you, of course, will only wash once every 200 wipes, because anything less would be wasting water, and thereby damaging our environment. Eventually you hope to get to the point where you won’t wipe at all, since this, of course, is the MOST environmentally friendly course.
    Re: “4. You want your infant to rock skinny jeans every day.”
    My #4. You want your infant to rock tie-dye shirts, flower dresses, and dreadlocks every day.
    Re: “3. The knowledge that disposable diapers will take about 500 years to decompose in a landfill gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling that your baby is carving out his or her own place in history.”
    My #3. You found 500-year-old disposable diapers from the ancient Aztecs and can therefore vouch for the legitimacy of disposable diaper endurance. This knowledge, coupled with the fact that you could never live happily knowing that something your child once “owned” might survive longer than you, drives you to the conclusion that you MUST use cloth diapers – not only to ensure the diaper’s short life, but also increase the chances of disease for your child, thereby hopefully shortening that rotten kid’s life expectancy so that you can out live them all!
    Re: “2. You enjoy looking for creative ways to spend a lot more money than necessary on all kinds of basic needs. In fact, you maintain a Pinterest board called ‘Ways to Waste Money’.”
    My #2. You enjoy looking for creative ways to waste time, make things more miserable, and just enjoy turning back the technological clock as far as possible. In fact, you maintain a Pinterest board called “Ways to Waste Time, Energy, and Thrive in a Paleolithic Society — even though you know this is a blatant display of your hypocrisy by using a modern day, highly-pollutive, computer that has far more horrendous materials in it than those nasty disposable diapers could ever dream of obtaining (that is, at least BEFORE the diapers have been filled by your baby!).
    Re: “1. Your baby exhibits a strong preference for being in constant contact with materials including but not limited to polypropylene resin, polyethylene, resins, oils, tackifiers, polyurethane and/or polyester foam, synthetic rubber and/or Spandex, cellulose, sodium polyacrylate, chlorine, Phthalates, dyes, and chemical fragrances.”
    My #1. Instead of being close to all those “nasty” manufactured materials, your baby exhibits a strong preference for being in constant contact with more natural substances like yeast, and bacteria. After all, nature is just so pure and innocent.

I apologize for not having the fancy pictures to coincide with my retort. I guess I’m not as skilled as the author of “TOP 10 REASONS NOT TO USE CLOTH DIAPERS,” or I just haven’t had as much practice as she in using these organic computers. Oh, and in case you were wondering…yes, I AM holier than all y’all (or would it be “all thou all?”), so I can spew forth my sarcasm with no twinge of guilt!

Oh…and to my dear wife (who I hope will still accept that title once I post this), I know you love all this “natural” stuff, but when I read something by someone who is haughty, sarcastic, and hypocritical, I have to prove that I surpass them in all three attributes, so please forgive me!

P.s. With all this being said, I thought the original article was well written, creative, and very funny; it just differs from my opinion, therefore, I have to add my two cents.

• I am laughing at your response, its funny, but it isnt true .. apart from number 4, what’s wrong with tie dye though?

30. To those of you who are preaching the gospel of having no children, and seem to be so anti-human, because of our terrible carbon footprint; I would like to thank you for giving me new enlightenment. Since we must lower our population in order to “save our planet,” I really shouldn’t be looking at Hitler and Stalin as evil people, I should be praising them for their “environmentally-friendly genious!” After all, they helped erraticate nearly 60 million of these vicious carbon-emmitting humans! I was about to suggest we start a third World War in order to help save our planet, but those do create an awful lot of emmissions. Perhaps we should just re-introduce Hitler’s gas chambers. Perhaps those noble souls who think we humans are so dangerous to this earth should volunteer to be the first in our population reduction program.

31. This was made to be a joke how it turned into such an arguement is so funny! I use both and plan to do the same with the next. And talking about water usage is rediculous thats like saying you wont wash and re wear yiur underwear because it uses to much water I mean get real. Both are expensive imo and no one should be judged on thier preference towards either. (Excuse all the errors im attempting ti get used to a new phone lol!)

32. Brittany says:

What gets me is the comments.
    Oh and if your kid has ammonia burns you’re doing something wrong. Not the diapers. maybe if cloth diaper websites didn’t preach the gospel about how you should use 1/2 the recommended amount of detergent and all that bs (oh and swear that only THEIR detergent can be used on diapers… I could go on and on) then ppl wouldn’t have sooo many issues.
    1. Use the recommended amount of detergent on your diapers. This is not 2 tsps. Or tbsps. For a full load of laundry I use a 1/4 cup on clothes and a 1/3 cup on diapers. Why would you use LESS detergent to clean human waste??
    2. Use the amount of water recommended for the load size. If you’re using too much water the diapers aren’t getting clean because they cant rub up against each other.
    3. If Cd “safe” detergents dont work use something STRONGER. I use tide. The frufru ones dont get them clean. And guess what??!!! Tide isn’t going to ruin my diapers. Why? Because they are CLOTH diapers. If I can wash my regular clothes in it I can wash my diapers in it. Oh and pul was made for hospitals. That means it was built to withstand sanitation cycles in a hospital setting. Delamination is a manufacturer defect not your wash routines fault. Ever.

I could literally stay here for days debunking stupid myths. But ill leave on this-
    No cloth isn’t right for everyone. But if you quit because of washing errors then that’s just silly.

• Melissa says:

if you use detergents with enzymes and fillers they build up in the nappy/diaper affecting their ability to absorb as well as possibly causing rashes on sensitive bottoms. im sure its fine to wash with these as long as you do a strip wash periodically. you don’t need fancy specialty detergents, just something basic, and you are right- sometimes they may need something a little stronger to clean- just strip wash!

33. Wow, a lot of the anti-cloth posts on here are very misinformed. Cloth diapers do not leak. Babies do not get ammonia burn, exposed to yeast or bacteria (any more than in disposables) as long as they are properly washed. Which means ignore the nonsense and pick up a box of Tide. There are no smells (again, if properly washed.) The diapers are very affordable, if you look beyond just walking into your nearest baby superstore and buying the first thing you see. Many multi-job, professional families use cloth (like mine). Diapers are trim and fit easily under clothing. Cloth is EASY. It’s so much easier than disposables, and after being in cloth, my little guy won’t wear sposies anyway. I can’t blame him. I wouldn’t wear disposable underwear either!

34. It is just something to promote dialog between other humans~~~~

35. Oh my goodness, this is hilarious! I love it. Thanks for such a fun post.